Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Fashion Profile: Morgan Holmes

morgan

Morgan Holmes

Major: English

Year: 2011

Q: How would you describe your style?

A: Consignment store meets urban outfitters.

Q: Coming from Texas, Has your style changed from more than just the extension of your winter jacket?

A: I’ve always been kind of weird in the way that I dress. I never fit in stylistically with other people in High School, and I got a lot of concerned comments from my mom and grandma especially. They thought the way I dressed was silly or frivolous. Not the way a professional young woman should dress. I would experiment a lot when I was younger, based on things that I saw in magazines. I think the biggest thing that’s changed since coming to Carleton is that I’ve just embraced it.

Q: Being an English major, do you find that fashion and writing are comparable outlets of creativity?

A: yeah, I think so! I like how you can tell a story with clothes, or that your clothes can have a story of their own. Clothes can be special because someone gave it to you or you bought it on a crappy day or you wore it to a special event. A lot of my clothes have very fond memories.

Q: I hear that you studied abroad in London. Has your experience in London influence the way you view fashion?

A: It made me think about the importance of impressions. We were living in central London and everyone is very chic and slick, so it really emphasized that for me. It also made me think about how fashion can still be fun. Socks are really big in London right now apparently, except that I hate socks. I went to this sock store where they only sold luxury socks. It was weird. I don’t wear socks.

Q: Where do you get inspiration?

A: the Sartorialist (http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com), manikins, colors, and the earth.

Q: Ebony costumes have a very distinct style. Do you think you share any stylistic similarities with Ebony’s fundamental fashion values?

A: yes, absolutely. I like the idea of sparkles in everyday life. I like the idea of going big, just for the fun of it.

Q: What is your favorite piece of clothing that you own?

A: Oh man. I have this yellow cotton dress with really awesome beading that I got at the consignment store in town (Fashion Fair), and I love it. It’s so comfy, so bright, so yellow and so bold.

Q. Who is your favorite designer?

A: I don’t know if I have a favorite designer. I really like Betsey Johnson, because she’s insane and not afraid. I’ve been watching project runway all season and I’m in love with Mondo Guerra. He’s my favorite right now. I prefer everyday people and watching that rather than watching runway though.

Q: If you could live in any decade for fashion, which would it be and why?

A: Probably the 70s because I’m really interested in high waisted pants and jumpsuits.

Q: What are some of your favorite places to shop?

A: fashion fair, urban outfitters, and then there’s a place in San Antonio called the Jive Refried that sells vintage and recycled clothes. I’m very into recycled clothes.

Q: What are you wearing right now?

A: I’m wearing a plaid jacket from Fashion Fair in Northfield, a blue gap v neck t-shirt that I got at the clothes closet and high waisted green trousers from Urban. My booties are Bongo and my earrings were a present from my friend Molly that she got in London.

Q: Finally, how do you make your hair always perfect?

A: There’s this stuff called R & B from Lush, which smells really good and is magical. I also use Pantene. Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment