Friday, January 25, 2013

Fashion Profile: Nora Liu

Year: 2015
Major: Economics
Hometown: Suzhou, China

Q: How would you describe your style?
I don’t think I have a particular style because I only wear what I like. I think it depends more on the mood of the day. I have some basic colors like black and burgundy and nude that I’m particularly drawn too though.

Q: How do you think growing up in China has influenced the way you view fashion?
China has definitely influenced me stylistically. Everyone is crazy about big brand names, and I think as a result they don’t have their own personal style because they are constantly looking to the current trends. This is especially true in big cities like Beijing or Shanghai. But some people have their own style, and there is amazing street fashion. My mom has also influenced me a lot. She used to dress me up like a little doll and as I’ve gotten older I’ve become interested in more fancy clothes.

Q: Where do you find your inspiration?
From everywhere. I read a lot of magazines. There is a magazine in china called Vision, which is a design magazine and every issue has a fashion, graphic design, architecture and lifestyle section. I am really interested in the architecture part, I don’t know why but it really interests me. I don’t really read fashion magazines though.

Q: If you could live in any decade for fashion, which would it be and why?
Definitely the 1960s. There was a really interesting mix between western and eastern style. The eastern styles during that time were very interesting, but not very functional.  Like qupao dresses, which is a non-functional style of dress, but I think very beautiful.

Q: What is your favorite thing in your wardrobe?
My tights. I am crazy about tights. I have a huge collection of different colors and patterns. I wear different types for different seasons. I’m also a crazy shoe buyer. I think right now my favorite shoes are the ones I’m wearing from this website called Modern Vintage. The texture and color combination are really good.

Q: What are your winter staples?
Scarves, warm tights, huge overcoats and sweaters, of course.

Q: What would someone rarely or never find you wearing?
I hate loud styles. Like people like to combine a lot of loud patterns and colors, I would never do that. The style I hate most is a loose t-shirt with non-fitted jeans. 

Q: What are the top 5 things you can’t live without?
My tights. Lip balm. Hand cream. Music. Movies.

Q: What are some of your favorite movies stylistically?
Any black and white movie. I also love documentaries. I recently watched the Bill Cunningham documentary and I found it fascinating.

Q: Who are some of your fashion designers:
I love ACNE, Jill Sanders and Karl Lagerfeld, obviously.

Q: What are you wearing right now?
Modern Vintage flats that fade from black patent leather to burgundy suede. Burgundy thick tights, leather shorts from Zara and a basic long sleeve black t-shirt. Over it, I’m wearing a fur vest and a huge charcoal grey overcoat. I’m also wearing an Alexander McQueen skull bracelet and round-framed ray bans.

Q: Do you have any advice for the less fashionable Carls?
Just wear more fitted clothes. Most of the time people just grab some t-shirts and jeans go to class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment